- 250g (9 oz) Plain Flour
- 400g (14 oz) Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g (4 oz) Butter
- 180ml of water
- 115g (4 oz) dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 180ml of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
For the topping:
- 150g (5 oz) softened butter
- 250g (9 oz) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of hot water
TAKE NOTE: Ask an adult to help you melt the chocolate, use the electric whisk and put the cupcakes into the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚/350˚F/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the paper cases in the bun tin.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and butter in a large bowl. Mix together.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water. Make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Add in the water, eggs, milk, vanilla essence and melted chocolate.
- With an electric mixer beat at a low speed for 30 seconds. Then beat at a high speed for 3 minutes.
- Use a teaspoon to transfer equal amounts of the mixture to the paper cases. Bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes. Leave them to cool on a wire rack.
- For the topping, beat together the butter and icing sugar. Combine the cocoa powder and water, and add to the mixture. Beat until smooth and creamy. Spread over the cupcakes to finish.