For the cakes:
- 125g of softened butter
- 125g of caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g of self raising flour
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 2 lemons
For the icing:
- 175g of softened butter
- 350g of icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Using a whisk, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour (sifted), milk and the zest of the two lemons and a little squeeze of juice.
- Mix everything until it is a smooth mixture.
- Spoon one and a half tea spoons of the mix into the cake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins.
- While they are cooking, make the icing by whisking the butter in a bowl. Then add the icing sugar and mix.
- Add the zest if any remaining lemon zest and however much of the rest of lemon juice. (depending how zingy you want them to be)
- Put the cakes on a cooling rack to cool. When they have finished cooling, pipe or spread the icing in to the cakes.
- You could add a lemon flavour sweet of a small pice of chopped up lemon if wanted. And there you have it, one batch of delicious lemon cupcakes ready to take to a party or picnic or just to put in a box to save for another day. Make sure you have eaten them in a week or they won’t taste as good as they are meant to.